The Paragon Outlet Mall in Eagan, Minnesota – the largest retail development in the state – hosted its grand opening on time in August 2014 after a rigorous schedule for Ahern’s Twin Cities office. In just 2.5 months, Ahern completed fire protection work in 95 retail stores, totaling 464,642 square-feet. As the contractor for the entire mall, the conditions of the project required up to 11 sprinkler fitters on site at a time.
To help speed up the schedule, Ahern utilized its Pipe Fabrication shop to fabricate 4,035 total automatic sprinkler piping, 43,434 feet of black carbon steel sprinkler pipe ranging in size from 1.5” to 6” diameter, along with 4,267 total number of weld fittings required on the project.
While the condensed timeframe was surely a challenge, space on-site was also a large obstacle logistically. Ahern made daily supply deliveries for the first month and transitioned to weekly deliveries as the project progressed. “It was a pleasure working with the Ahern team on this project,” states Brenda Sliker, senior tenant coordinator with Paragon Outlet Partners, LLC. “It is not often that we have projects run so smoothly with sprinkler work due to the number of tenants with their own unique and space specific needs in regards to pricing, schedule and Certificate of Occupancy requirements. We did not receive one phone call from the tenant contractors with any issues regarding their spaces. This is unprecedented in our industry.”
- 10 out of 12 of Ahern’s field crew were industry certified or licensed
- Three of Ahern’s office staff were NICET certified
- Ahern’s design was approved on the first submission and no warranty rework was required
- Space was limited on the job site, so Ahern made daily supply deliveries for the first month and transitioned to weekly deliveries as the project progressed.
- No OSHA recordables or lost-time injuries